Employee counselling is defined as an interactive process that is initiated either by the concerned senior manager or counsellor to offer support to workers facing difficulties in achieving performance goals. It is generally conducted to address employee concerns, understand issues and give professional advice, advice and also suggest possible ways to resolve them. It can be done during an ongoing process of improvement. It has several benefits that are relevant to the working environment. The following are the top benefits of employee counselling:
- Helps employee motivation. Motivation varies from employee to employee and within organisations. One of the best employee counselling of all is its ability to improve employee motivation. Regular feedback about one’s performance helps build employee retention and encourage those who have underperformed to work harder and better. The feedback also helps the individuals to identify areas that require further improvement and improvise their performance so that they meet the desired targets.
- Increases employee productivity. This is one of the most vital employee counselling benefits. It helps organisations to achieve better results from the whole process of improving employee performance. Employee counselling improves communication, attitudes, motivation, and awareness, and helps organisations to reap maximum benefits from the whole process. Regular counselling sessions help organisations design a work environment that is conducive for effective working, reduces stress, helps maintain productivity, improves employee interaction and engagement, and reduces the risks of injury to workers and increases employee motivation.
- Increases employee retention. An employee counselling session can be an important tool in maintaining commitment, motivation and participation in the workforce. Survey and qualitative analysis of employee work have proven that employee retention is linked to the overall performance of the organisation, particularly in the early years of a project. Through employee counselling, people are allowed to gain new insights on how to optimise work processes and organizational structures to foster greater employee motivation.
- Reduces the potential for costly mistakes. There are many instances where employee counselling can result in the creation of improved processes and methods that reduce mistakes. When the right counsellor is involved in the process, it gives them the expertise and knowledge on how to implement changes or modifications and ensure that they are effective. When mistakes are prevented, it allows for a faster and smoother process and minimises financial costs that may occur due to failed projects.
- Improves employee morale and performance. Motivation is boosted through employee counselling. Employees are allowed to confront issues that are affecting their personal lives and relationships. Employees can build up their confidence and self-esteem, and this, in turn, improves their productivity, efficiency and quality of work. When employees are confident about their roles and do not feel under undue pressure, they perform better. They are also more likely to put into place measures that will help them develop their personal life and career.
- Increases employee motivation. Many organisations offer employee counselling services as a way of improving employee motivation and performance. The interaction with the counsellor encourages the employee to set achievable goals and work towards them. When goals are reached, the employee has a greater incentive to continue or even pursue them, and when this occurs, productivity increases as a result of improved efficiency and levels of stress reduction.
Employee coaching and employee counselling go hand in hand. As organisations grow, it is important for employees facing problems to have an avenue through which they can seek assistance and get solutions that work for them. Counsellors provide a neutral forum through which you can discuss your situation and look for solutions that suit your needs. By utilising this service, you are giving yourself an avenue through which to resolve the problem. You can also be assured that the problems you face are easily solvable since the process that the counsellor goes through with you can resolve them quickly and effectively. As you find a solution to your problems, you’ll feel more satisfied and your work will become more effective.